The McGuigan Pioneer Cemetery is one of the oldest burial grounds not only along the Rideau River, but in Eastern Ontario. Located at 448 Burritts Rapids Road (County Road 23), it was used for approximately one hundred years between 1800 and 1900. Unfortunately, there are few written records detailing its existence or who was buried within its borders. The few tombstones now standing on the small knoll overlooking the Rideau River tell only a small part of the role this pioneer cemetery played in the history of the area.
In the late 1970s MDHS participated in the restoration of the McGuigan Pioneer Cemetery. The cemetery is now maintained by the Village of Merrickville-Wolford, in partnership with MDHS.
For more information on the McGuigan Cemetery, click here.
You'll find McGuigan Cemetery at 448 County Road 23 (Burritt's Rapids Road).
A path leads from the south side of the road about 100 meters to the entrance of the cemetery.
The cemetery is 1.5 km east of Merrickville and 8 km west of Burritt's Rapids.